Permanent position from ASAP (SCP 3 + SEN Point)
Mill Green School is an ‘Outstanding’, maintained community special school, providing education to young people aged 14-19. The Governing Body are seeking to appoint an experienced, motivated and resilient Learning Assistant (Level 2) to join our hard working, dynamic and enthusiastic team who shares in our determination to transform the life chances young people who attend Mill Green. Whilst we are looking for a candidate who has experience of working with young people with complex needs, applications from candidates who are able to demonstrate a commitment to develop their own skills and knowledge in order to become an outstanding specialist practitioner are warmly welcomed.
At Mill Green School we understand that enabling positive outcomes for young people facing complex challenges isn’t an overnight fix. The successful candidate will be a committed and enthusiastic individual, who is ready to start every day with a fresh outlook and welcome the young people into their learning and social development opportunities.
We are looking for someone who is able to build trusting relationships with our young people to help them manage the learning challenges of the day. At Mill Green we all wear different hats in order for our young people to succeed. The role of Learning Assistant is essential to the support and development of our learners, enabling them to achieve success in a safe and caring learning environment. Flexibility is key in this role and may include working 1:1 with young people as well as supporting young people in small group or class settings.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding, reflective and resourceful practitioner who is dedicated to making their practice the very best it can be. They will be committed to developing exceptional SEN education, taking a solution-focused and positive approach, with a passion about their work and the impact they have on improving outcomes for all learners, regardless of their educational needs or ability.
The role will involve:
• Supporting learners academically and socially, in and out the classroom
• Supporting young people with communication difficulties, severe learning difficulties and complex health needs
• Assisting our learners with community and work-based learning
• Supporting our learners to develop key life skills both in school and in the community, including meal preparation, money skills, self-care, housekeeping, laundry, food shopping and personal safety.
What we offer:
• A comprehensive induction programme, ensuring that you have the support you need to settle into your role
• A programme of continued professional development including access to coaching and mentoring, an e-learning platform and online training courses. All staff access a rolling programme of role-specific CPD and behaviour management support.
• Employee Assistance Programme to support in and outside of school
• Opportunities for career development e.g. Level 3 Apprenticeships, or Teacher Training.
• Flexible working (staggered hours): Outside of our core hours, staff are able to start or leave early in order to be flexible around their needs.
• An annual, paid ‘well-being day’
• To be part of a well-supported, valued team.
*This post is specifically linked to additional SEN funding to support one or more young people with complex needs and may include the need to act as a 1:1 Learning Assistant. When funding ceases or the young person(s) leave the school, the post will cease.
The school is committed to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This post is subject to satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Section Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure Certificate.
We strongly encourage prospective candidates to visit the school and see what we are about; we know that how we fit you is as important as how you will fit us. Visits can be arranged by contacting Stephanie Shipley, our School Business Manager on 01744 678760.
If you have any queries regarding submitting an online application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Wednesday 29th November 2023 at 12pm